07 September 2006

Bumbermadness

So I went to Bumbershoot in Seattle this past weekend, and boy was it sick sick sick good times.

Among the best on a musical tip:


Lady Sovereign
: Grimy electro-clash/hip hop goodness from the U.K. Think M.I.A.'s slutty, cockney-trash cousin. She's coming to Vancity on November 10th, so you best make way for the s.o. - VEEE.


Rishi Rich
: sweet Banghra/Desi beats. Some of you may know how much I love this genre. The website is missing in action right now, but hopefully up soon so you can share the love. Some of the Rishi Rich project stuff is a little too R&B slow jam for my taste, but it's 80% good times.


DJ Assault
: Booty bouncing ghettotech. He wasn't at Bumbershoot, rather at one of my favourite little Seattle clubs Chop Suey. It's been good times every time at that place... plus random bonus: free drinks from the bartender, who apparently gets mistaken for Jake Gyllenhall, because he thought I looked like his fake celeb sister Maggie Gyllenhall. Ding ding!


Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings
: picture James Brown as a small wiry woman, and you've got the idea. Her dance style verged on the extraterrestrial. Loves it!

Obviously though the best thing of all Bumbertainment was the COMEDY PANEL SCREENING OF TRAPPED IN THE CLOSET. Yes, you heard that right y'all. More details to follow - I'm waiting for photos from a photographer I met from Minnesota who was shooting the event - but damn! It was off the hook!

No comments: