13 November 2006

McDonald's Hilarious Race Sites!

Okay now really.

Not only does McDonald's conduct an active campaign targeted to the black community, it does the same for the latino and asian communities.

Now I have no problem with the idea. I'm not one of those covert 'then-whur's-the-white-kid-program?' racists, although I would prefer an ordering by socio-economic or geographic group because I think it would be more effective.

Rather my problem is with the unbelievable racial stereotyping on the microsites. Seriously - check this shit out. All straight from McDonald's fun headquarters.

i-am-asian


Which I guess means 'i hate upper case'. At least this site speaks to some scholarship money. But seriously - look at this interface. It's every Asian stereotype rolled in one ikea-decorated dorm-room nightmare. And what is up with the mash-up of Asian cultures represented in this 'asian' dude's room? Is he just a fan of 'Asian' or something?


You should go to this site just to hear the rollover voice on the dog. It yells 'Year of re dog!' in a voice best described using a word I never thought I'd use - chinky. [washes mouth out]

lomcximo


Which I imagine means 'Hand's Off My Burrito Esse' or something. Seriously now, McDonald's is just being cruel here. In between the blatant jabs at Latino-American education and status, all they get here is soccer and video games like 'Taxi Metro', for which the instructions are, not even kidding:

Drive your taxi around the city and when you see someone thinking about chicken... you know where to take them.

For fuck's sake - is this really the best they can do?


Focus group research shows that Mex-i-cans mainly aren't real clear about the concept of 'Dollar Menu'. A clear jab at the comprimised education received by latino students who speak Spanish at home. I mean hot damn that shit's remedial.

Bonus Racist Aside!


Look for it:


A bone for the Jewish-American demographic, or a blatant mis-interpretation? Watch the image to find out!

Someone's probably going to have to talk to McDonald's about racial sensitivity. I mean seriously - Taxi Metro?!?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I think we are missing here is what that article is actually saying...i.e. that there aren't enough Pacific Islander festivals.

I think McDonalds should take the initiative and start making Poi fries, ahi fillets...and, well, pineapple sundaes. Come on....it'd make millions.

Beckstar, Queen of the Galactic Robot Mafia said...

Dude - did you visit the sites?

That article is just in there as a joke - because the Jew thing made me laugh - but the sites are probably the most racist thing I have seen a big corporation do since the Warner Brothers' Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips cartoon.

On the other hand, you are pretty much a walking Pacific Islander festival, so I definitely hear you on the pineapple sundaes tip.

They do that though hey - regional menus? In Korea they have Bulgogi Burgers, and in China they had (I don't know why, because it wasn't very Chinese) hot corn pie.

Good times, good times.