10 October 2006

Weird Al - mad respect!

Word to god, I pumped my fist in the air and said 'YES!!!!' when I just found out about this.

In retrospect it's no surprise, but Weird Al has a Trapped in the Closet tribute on his new album. Yes, I know. It really, really does rule. The clip below is audio only, but seriously - who wouldn't want to hear the clown prince of parody take on the cokehead stepson of ghettofabulousness? There'll probably be a video for this at some point, so this is a sneak preview.



Of course I know it's pretty fucking lame to like Weird Al. He exists in this weird vortex of celebrity, where he's so self-aware of his ironic so bad it's good appeal that he ruins it for everyone that likes him ironically. And to like him sincerely... well, then you're the kind of person that sincerely likes Weird Al.

But to the progenitor of nerd music; to the mastermind behind the classic film UHF; to yet another comic who's thrown his hat down in front of Trapped in the Closet and said 'shall we dance?'; and finally, to the man who made a video I knew every frame in when I was seven:



Weird Al, I salute you.

No comments: